Composite Fillings in Chicago IL 60646
Composite fillings, otherwise known as white fillings, are designed to match the color of your teeth. Unlike amalgam fillings, composite fillings are chemically bonded to the tooth to provide the most support for the remaining tooth structure. This helps prevent cracks and chips in the tooth. As with amalgam fillings, composite fillings are used to repair a decayed tooth and only take one appointment to complete.
- First, the decayed portion of the tooth must be removed in order to place the filling.
- Next, an adhesive is brushed onto the tooth so that the composite filling will stick.
- After the adhesive is applied, several layers of composite filling are brushed on.
- Finally, the filling is cured, or hardened with a light, and polished.
Benefits of Composite Fillings over Amalgam Fillings
- With metal fillings, more of the tooth has to be removed in order to make room for the filling. With composite fillings, only the decayed part of the tooth must be removed and the composite can be brushed on, fitting your specific tooth shape perfectly.
- Metal fillings are silver and do not blend in with the natural teeth, whereas composite fillings are matched to the color of your teeth and are unnoticeable.
- Metal fillings have a tendency to discolor the areas of the tooth that it touches making the surrounding tooth structure gray. Composite fillings will go completely unnoticed and are so discreet that they can even be used to repair chips, and broken or worn teeth.
Schedule an appointment with Dr. Raffi for composite fillings if you want to have a cavity filled, wish to replace a metal filling, or correct a tooth defect. Call 1-773-792-1043 or e-mail us today!